CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Update on Grama Connie 9/4/08

Ok, so my Dad is totally not medically inclined at all and got a few things mixed up and thus I errantly reported some details last night.

My Grama Connie did not have a stroke to the best of the doctor's knowledge. They think that the pre-existing brain tumor that she has been fighting all summer is the cause. She had six weeks of radiation in June and July and for the most part, the side effects were minimal until after she was done with radiation. She has been very exhausted and just not quite herself. They think the radiation caused the tumor to swell and thus cause pressure on the brain which in turn is causing some neurological symptoms. These symptoms are nearly exact to the way things happened eight years ago when she was diagnosed with the first brain tumor. It is mostly affecting her right side. She is not paralyzed, just not stable and she is having involuntary movements.

They have run a plethora of tests, most of which have all come back as normal. She had an elevated troponin level. This typically would signify a heart condition, however, her ECHO, EKG and ultrasound of the heart were all normal. She also had a normal ultrasound of the brain. The CT scan of the brain was negative. She had a brain MRI yesterday late, I don't have the results of that yet.

I work at Mayo, and my two bosses are cardiac guys. Dr. Jaffe is a well known cardiologist and Dr. McConnell runs the cardiovascular risk lab. So between the two of them, I can get alot of information figured out. Plus I have been in a medical setting for ten years now and I know alot just by myself. So, I am going to consult with the two of them over all the bloodwork that my brother gave me results of and see what their thoughts are.

I did ask Mark to ask the doctor about a PET scan. PET scans are performed to:
~detect cancer
~determine how much a cancer has spread in the body
~assess the effectiveness of a treatment plan, such as cancer therapy
~determine if a cancer has returned after treatment
~determine blood flow to the heart muscle
~determine the effects of a heart attack, or myocardial infarction, on areas of the heart
~identify areas of the heart muscle that would benefit from a procedure such as angioplasty or coronary artery bypass surgery (in combination with a myocardial perfusion scan).
~evaluate brain abnormalities, such as tumors, memory disorders and seizures and other central nervous system disorders
~to map normal human brain and heart function
So, I think this could be useful to determine a number of things. They are pretty sure its not cardiac, but the elevated troponin indicates something isn't right. They are pretty sure its not stroke, which can be an embolism in any area of the body. Because she does have the tumor and its neurologically affecting her, I think this might be the best tool to determine what is going on. It could also clear up the heart concern.

Well, that is all I know for now.

Please pray for wisdom of the doctors, peace for my family, and healing for my Grama.

0 comments: