CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 29, 2008

My One Year Surgical Followup

So today I met with my Endocrinology doctor for my one year gastric bypass followup.
He is very pleased with my weight loss, my bloodwork was good too. He is super excited for me and is very encouraging.
We talked about things that have been going on the past year including my PRC stint. He asked me if I was having pain today and I said yes. While the PRC was effective, I am finding it hard to work in the tenets of the program into such a short time that I have available when not working. He mentioned that there is a rare condition called blind loop syndrome that could potentially be causing me pain. It is a type of infection that makes your joints achy and painful. So, he gave me some antibiotics, I'll take them as prescribed and if I feel better after taking them, we'll know if I have it or not. If I do have it, he'll put me on prophylactic antiobiotics for eight months.
Aside from that potential problem, he is very pleased with my progress and counts me as a successful patient. If I could have this guy as my everyday doctor, life would be good. He treats me like a person that matter, unlike the current physician I am assigned to for general care.

People often ask me "was it worth it?" or "would you do it again?"
I always tell them yes. I am healthier, I have more energy, though it is still not as much as I'd prefer. I can do more things now that as an obese person hindered me. I really haven't had many side effects related to the surgery, I am very blessed to have done well. I still want to meet my original goal and hope to have that under wraps by Christmas. He said I only need to do half that, so I figure if I get to the half, the rest is bonus, right?

0 comments: