CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Update on Adoption Process

So, the traditional adoption route is VERY expensive. Most of us are in financial binds of some sort or another, so extra money right now is not so much available.
So, I am working with Olmsted County on the foster-adopt program. It is similar to the State program in that they pay for most everything you need, but you have a choice to get younger kids. The State program had the youngest age of six and I want younger than that. The County program has kids of all ages available, and while infants or toddlers are not as common, they do exist and while I might have to wait a little longer to get a child, I think it is worth it.

I signed up for the orientation and six other education sessions to go to in November and December. I will qualify for a home study in December, but I am betting with the holidays and general busyness of this time of year, it won't happen until January.

In the meantime, I am working on getting my house set up to meet the county's demands. You must have two seperate bedrooms and can have no more than three beds. Seperate bedrooms are in case of a boy/girl placement. So, right now I am working on cleaning out my office to get it to be able to fit a twin bed. And then the room at the top of the stairs will have the daybed and a crib. I also have to make everything safe, meaning all plugins have to be blocked, any chemicals have to be locked up or out of reach, anything dangerous in the kitchen(ie. knives) have to be out of reach. Must have a first aid kit, smoke alarms and baby gates.
Most of this I already have under control, so its just a few minor things to adjust. The more I have done before the home study, the more likely the process can move along quicker.
I also have to figure out daycare, although I am thinking this might not be so difficult. The daycare that Jake goes to, as well as his cousins, is SUPER awesome and she is really good about the drop in thing. I am hoping she'll agree to be my daycare person, but I have yet to talk to her, so pray about that for me.

While waiting for the infant/toddler placement, I plan to do respite care(cover vacations for other foster parents) and emergency care(temporary placements), again, in the younger age ranges. Thus the need for the extra beds.

So, the process is moving along. Keep praying for me as I walk through all the hoops.
Thanks!

0 comments: