CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Adoption

So, pretty much everyone who knows me knows how much I want to be a mom someday. And pretty much everyone who knows me knows I "adopt" their kids because I enjoy them, well, most of them, most of the time! HA!

I know alot of people who have adopted and for the most part, have nothing but positives about the situations. These adoptions are all types - embryo, open, closed, older kids, disabled kids, international - the whole gamut really.

Adoption is really a wonderful gift for both sides. The reasons for someone giving up their child(ren) vary and it really doesn't matter the why, what matters is that the birth mom(usually) made a very tough decision, but a wise one, to let her child have a chance. The reasons to adopt vary just as much as giving up a child(ren). Some are unable to have children naturally and have gone through a hellacious and expensive experience of fertility treatments and still have not conceived. Some have a child(ren) naturally already, but have decided their family is not complete, but feel they can offer a child in need the love they have to give. All in all, no matter which side you are on, the reasons are yours and yours alone. Oh, your story might sort of match someone, but it will never completely match.

With all the people I know who have adopted, and with the desire in my heart for children, I have been contemplating adoption for quite some time. I have had the desire to adopt probably as long as the desire to be a mom, and I had hoped to have both natural and adopted children in my family at some point. God is a little funny sometimes in how he answers prayers, we don't always get exactly what we want or even at all, but that doesn't mean he doesn't answer prayers.

I turned 31 this month. I am still single. My maternal clock is ticking. There is no dating in my life, no boyfriend or fiance on the line. I know God has a plan for me and perhaps I haven't been really listening to Him the way I should. Being single when most of your friends and family have gone on to marry and have families is so very hard. It does get lonely at times and I doubt what God has in store. I always thought I'd marry young and have babies young and the older I get, the more I worry that the opportunity is slipping away. I know women can have babies in what the medical community deems "advanced years" of 35 and up, I just never thought I'd be in that category. I want at least five children, doesn't matter how I get them, but my timing for getting them is shrinking.

So, all of this to say, I am considering adoption. Now. I feel like this is meant to be part of the plan now. I don't know what is in the future. I would much rather my child have a two parent family, but, I think God is leading me to pursue this at this point in my life. I truly hope to have a husband and expand my family some day, but I feel like this is the plan right now. Children are a gift from God and adoption is such a blessing. I truly think adoption is a calling I am meant to pursue.

It is all very preliminary. I haven't even chosen an agency or made a decision to do a US or an international adoption. There are many forms, many questions, and of course, the wait. It could happen in a few months, it could be a few years. I am basically in the inquiry stage and we'll see where it leads. If doors open, then I will know that I am heading in the right direction. If they close, then, perhaps I am wrong. Either way, I will let God guide my steps in this and we'll see where it leads. I'll keep you posted. On the side bar, you'll see a spot where you can donate to the cause. Expenses vary depending on the adoption, but even getting started is a cost of $2000. Thats just paperwork, background checks and the home study. That isn't even anything to do with obtaining a child! So, if you feel led, feel free to donate to the cause.

My blog friend Heather, an adoptive mother, wrote this scripture on her blog right before Allie came home. It seems so fitting.

5) Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6) To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
7) In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
8) Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;
9) Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:" Ephesians 1:5-9

0 comments: